Who Is The OAA?
For more than 113 years, the Osbourn Alumni Association has awarded over $114,000 in scholarships and maintains a community of former students and graduates.
We support the teachers, clubs, athletics and administration and their many program needs in order to help provide our students with the best possible education experience.
1906 The Osbourn Alumni Association, OAA, was formed by 6 graduates from the previous years. It was first known as the Manassas Institute Alumni Association and would also be known as the Manassas Agricultural High School Alumni Association and the Manassas High School Alumni Association. The first banquet was held in June of 1906 in the old Manassas Institute Building on Grant Avenue. Members were asked to bring a food item. Due to a violent thunder storm, the banquet did not adjourn as scheduled. Miss Lula D. Metz, a graduate and teacher, was President and Mr. Virginius Gilmore Iden was Secretary of the OAA.
1907 The second banquet was held at the Prince William Hotel. Miss Norma Round, one of the first four graduates from the Manassas Institute in 1896, was President.
1913 The OAA took on it’s first large project to raise funds to send Miss Eugenia Osbourn on a trip to Europe.
1914 Miss Eugenia went on her trip to Italy, Switzerland, France, and England courtesy of the OAA.
1920 The OAA took on it’s next major fundraising project. The School Board threatened to close schools a month early in order to save money because school funds were low after the war due to the inflationary period. This action would have left the school unaccredited and it would have effected graduating seniors. The OAA President, Mrs. Lula McManaway, asked the Manassas District taxpayers to pay their school taxes for a second time to keep schools open. Most of them paid!
1925 The OAA took on it’s third major project to build a gymnasium for the students to play indoor basketball. The students had been bouncing around from one place to another for thirteen years. The OAA and the Patron’s League solicited funds, materials and labor to build the new Bennett gym. At the time, it was one of the most modern gyms in Northern Virginia at the time. The OAA held dances to recover some of the costs.
1934 The OAA and friends sent Miss Eugenia on a trip back to Europe.
1935 At the annual farewell banquet for the seniors, Miss Eugenia’s retirement was acknowledged. Dr. William R. Smithey, University of Virginia, gave a speech and planted the seed that the school’s name should be changed to honor her work. Soon after, the school system changed the school’s name.
1961 The OAA secured a book case in the library for old books and historical items.
1972 The OAA began talks on establishing a scholarship fund for graduating seniors.
1980 The OAA began honoring an Alumni of the Year.
1990 The OAA began awarding scholarships to students.
2015 The OAA hosted it’s First Annual Homecoming Event to raise money for scholarships. The event was centered around OHS’s Homecoming Game and consisted of a variety of food trucks for pre-game food and fun. Lucky Whitehead, former OHS football player who currently plays for the Dallas Cowboys, donated his time to attend the event and help raise money.
2016 The OAA waived the annual membership fee to encourage more former students and graduates to participate.
Random OAA Facts
The first four graduates from the Manassas Institute to receive high school diplomas were: Katrina Dodge, Roberta Lam, Jeannette Lyle and Norma Round.
The Class of 1934 dedicated a portrait of Miss Eugenia to OHS. It now hangs at OPHS.
OAA secured a marker for the Ruffner Building.
OAA secured insurance for students who participated in athletics.
Miss Emily James Johnson was one of the founding members of the OAA. She graduated from the Manassas Institute in 1901 and became a teacher in the community for 43 years.